The IPY-CARE project - science plan
The IPY-CARE Science Plan has been developed by the IPY-CARE Steering Committee and participants and funded through an EU Specific Support Action. The overall objective is:
To explore, quantify and model Arctic climate change, its interaction with the climate in lower latitudes and its impact on Arctic marine ecosystem, and to assess the socio-economic consequences for Europe.
Expert groups were established for the following six main Workpackages which represent the main components of the Science Plan:
- WP1: Processes determining Arctic climate variability and changes;
- WP2: Marine biological processes in response to climate change;
- WP3: Air-sea-ice mesoscale processes and climate variability;
- WP4: Past climate variability;
- WP5: Remote sensing and new technology for climate data provision, and
- WP6: Assessment of Arctic climate change impacts on climate in Europe including the Mediterranean area and socio-economic consequences for Europe.
The expert groups have prepared the contribution to each of the Workpackages. A main part of this activity was the organisation of the IPY-CARE conference at Alfred Wegener Institute in Bremerhaven 12 - 14 October 2005.